So you are finally going to build your dream home; you may have been imagining this since the Lincoln Log days, or perhaps your family or wallet has recently expanded and you know this is the right choice for you. Whatever the case, be excited! We have tips to keep in mind throughout the process to help keep your sights set straight ahead.
- Make two separate lists- When first starting the blueprint for your dream home, you’ll discover how easy it is to get carried away. So make two lists of amenities, features, and designs. First list should be the “Must Have”. This will include qualities about your home you know you can’t do without (ex. number of bathrooms in relation to family size). The second list will be “Luxury”. You’re building your dream home, what types of things have you always wanted? A walk-in closet, a home theater, a basketball court–the sky is the limit!
- Take your time finding furnishings- A custom home includes an interior with a personal touch. Don’t feel like you need to fill in every space right away. Look for bargains in furnishings, and map out a theme for each room beforehand.
- Visit many homes and open house events- Even if you think you know exactly what you want, going to open house events likeThe Tour of New Homes and seeing the functions of a house in-action can help solidify ideas on your “Must Have” list, and negate ones in “Luxury”.
- Design to entertain- Admit it; when it’s all finished and you unlock your front door for the first time, you are going to want to celebrate… a lot. Whether it’s a cozy living room, a guest bedroom, or an open kitchen, make sure your design is welcoming and accommodating to your future guests.
- Set a budget, but allow splurges- Some upgrades can be saved for later, but there are others that require being built into the house in the early stages. Splurges in some areas may save you a headache in the future.
Above all these tips, the most important is finding a builder who is going to listen to your vision and manifest your thought clouds into a structure you can entertain, relax, decorate, and live in.
Ahem….What are you waiting for? We are ready to get started.